Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Teaser Tuesday, July 27

After a couple of weeks away, I'm getting my Teaser Tuesday on. You know the drill:

* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title and author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book if they like your teasers!

Wrong: Why Experts Keep Failing Us - and How to Know When Not to Trust ThemI've only just started the book Wrong: Why Experts Keep Failing Us--And How to Know When Not to Trust Them, but I think it's going to be good!

Here's the teaser:
I'm not saying that experts don't make any progress, or that they ought to have figured it all out long ago. I'm suggesting three things: we ought to be fully aware of how large a percentage of expert advice is flawed; we should find out if there are perhaps much more disconcerting reasons why experts so frequently get off track other than "that's just the nature of the beast"; and we ought to take the trouble to see if we can come up with clues that will help distinguish better expert advice from fishier stuff.

If David H. Freedman can do that, this is important stuff! I smell DATA in my future!

2 comments:

Lorin said...

Sounds very interesting. I assume this is more than just a blanket "question authority" analysis, too.

Phyl said...

This sounds like an excellent book! What a great and intriguing teaser. (My own suggestion: "it depends on the expert." I'd eliminate 99% of the self-help books immediately. And then you'd need to check the hard credentials of whoever was left.)

Anyway, my own teaser is at Bookishgal.