Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Help

I finally read The Help by Kathryn Stockett which has been sitting on my shelf since a friend loaned it to me in July. Terrific book about three women, two maids and one daughter of the plantation in Jackson, Mississippi during 1963-64. The three of them work together to write an account of the help's experiences working in the Junior League ladies' households. It gets harrowing at times. But it's not a clear-cut good or bad, which is one of its strengths.

Towards the end, when news gets out about their project, one of the maids is sitting with another who is less concerned about the potential outcomes, to the other's surprise. "But I try to understand where Minny's coming from," she says. "We done something brave and good here. And Minny, maybe she don't want a be deprived a any a the things that go along with being brave and good. Even the bad." I thought that was lovely and wanted to share it with you.

Very good book. I recommend it.

No comments: