Friday, May 11, 2007

Must be the altitude

Holy guacamole! What is up with this pie-throwing incident in Colorado Springs? I've been mucking about on various Episcopal blogs and they are all a-twitter with the story of the 18-year-old chucking a banana cream pie at the rector of Grace Church.

There are layers upon layers in this pie story, so to speak, and I won't go into it here, but the main thing that interests me are the rhetorical pies flying about. One side says "this is a legitimate form of street theater/protest." Another says "this is a hate crime." The thing that gets my goat about it is that no one seems to be applying the rather basic biblical principle of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

You will notice that I have not mentioned the political/theological stance of either side of this incident, in hopes that people might approach it with fresh eyes, putting themselves in the shoes of both sides (probably size 23 clown shoes on one side) to see what they think.

I ask you, what would Gregory Nazianzus do?

No comments: