Friday, October 8, 2010

Really good stuff that other people wrote, October 8

Apparently, this is becoming a thing here at The Infusion. There's just so much interesting stuff out there I want to share!

I loved this NY Times interview with the CEO of VMware, deceptively headlined Does Your Team Have the Four Essential Types? I think there's lots of interesting stuff in there about leadership in general and of the changes in leadership as your organization gets larger.

As you manage bigger groups of people, you cannot be as closely connected to specific underlying issues and challenges...You have to realize that your contribution becomes more symbolic, in the sense that you’re trying to set a general direction. People want to see you as representing the general mission, not just yourself.

Seems like good advice that many leaders, church and otherwise, don't realize.

I'm not sure if I totally buy the hypothesis, but it was intriguing: Of Stink Bugs and Men suggests that the reason human populations in sub-Saharan Africa haven't grown as fast as they have elsewhere is because it's their native habitat. Everywhere else, we're an invasive species. As I said, intriguing.

On the fun side of things, I loved this list of maxims by the 17th century churchman Thomas Fuller. Oh, they're wonderfully pithy and clever. To wit:

A book that is shut is but a block.
A man is not good or bad for one action.
Unseasonable kindness gets no thanks.

And many more.

Finally, I love this dessert seen at Design Fetish. May I interest you in a Happy Meal?


Enjoy!  And happy Friday!

No comments: