Saturday, April 18, 2009

Happy 75 birthday, East Bay Regional Parks!


No one claimed private ownership of any possessions, but everything they owned was held in common. Acts 4:32

I am mighty grateful for the farsighted folks who came up with the idea of a Regional Park District back in the 1930's. Keeper is even more grateful, what with all the off-leash trails. And cow pies.

I'm particularly mindful of this as Earth Day approaches next Wednesday. The thing I was thinking about Earth Day is that we tend to get all woo-woo about the beauties of the earth as if that was separate from the way that we use, manage, and take care of it. Yes, the earth is beautiful on its own. Yes, nature is powerful and dynamic.

But it's also clear to me that we need to think about taking care of the earth for the long haul, not just about what's pretty and useful today. And not just for us. Which is one reason why I think this 75th anniversary is so wonderful, is to see how the foresight of these folks during the depression have enriched my life so much. (And Keeper's life, he wishes me to add.)

Check out their schedule of activities here.

No comments: