Saturday, April 11, 2009

Good Friday thoughts, #1

Good Friday (at least the service) didn't catch me like Maundy Thursday did. In fact, I arrived late for the concert of the Pergolesi Stabat Mater and left early, just after the Passion Narrative, and was squirming throughout. I think that was my own stuff and not sympathy squirming with the toddler in front of me. She was exceedingly good, given the circumstances. Not many toddlers would put up with Pergolesi.

Oh, it's good to be an adult and to be able to leave a service when you want to. I left as furtively as I could, but I imagine that little girl playing with her ladybug barrette and thinking, "Why does SHE get to leave and I have to sit here through all these tedious prayers?" Probably the priest was thinking the same.

No comments: