Saturday, April 11, 2009

Good Friday thoughts, #2

I appreciated the Passion Narrative, which surprised me. Again, I keep thinking I'm not going to hear anything new and then I do. This time it was the line, "They themselves did not enter the headquarters, so as to avoid ritual defilement and to be able to eat the Passover." And a smidge later when they say, "We are not permitted to put anyone to death."

And I thought, this is all about loopholes, isn't it? This is all about technically obeying the law so you can say you're innocent when someone subpoenas you. So that you can look at others and sneer at how they are impure while washing your hands of the affair.

I admit it made me think of our previous administration, not torturing people, oh no. We're just interrogating them. It made me think especially of Extraordinary Rendition, when we would ship prisoners off to other countries where torture is legal.

How nice to have the authority to get other people to take Jesus in to Pilate so you can celebrate the Passover with a clear conscience, knowing you have broken no commandments.

No comments: