Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A book I am actually enjoying reading!

So I put down Rabbit, Run (and it remains to be seen whether I shall ever return to it) and picked up a brand spanking new book, just published at the beginning of the month, called The Sacredness of Questioning Everything by David Dark. I am loving this book! Loving it! It's one of those books where I'm having trouble not underlining every line, trying to save it for the points that really, really stick out.

Sample quote:

The summons to sacred questioning--like the call to honesty, like the call to prayer--is a call to be true and to let the chips fall where they may. This call to worship is deeper than the call to sign off on a checklist of particular tenets or beliefs. It is also more difficult.

One of the things I like about it is that it doesn't just point fingers at those fundamentalist types we're all so happy to bash for their unquestioning faith. He very aptly points out how this applies to all of us.

To keep it all simple and safe, we often become selective fundamentalists. We know where to go to have our prejudices explained as just and sensible, our convictions strengthened, our group or political party reaffirmed.

Guilty as charged.

I suppose I shouldn't recommend a book when I'm only on page 60, but I have high hopes the rest of the book will turn out to be as valuable. I'll let you know.

No comments: