Sunday, February 1, 2009

No easy answers

I very much appreciated this post on the Change.org website talking about how Save Darfur and other organizations of that kind can't accomplish what their slogans say. "Often it seems Darfur activists are raising expectations they can never hope to meet. Any organization which claims it can save Darfur is courting hubris, at the least. At the end of the day, Darfur - and Sudan - have to save themselves."

If there's one thing I brought home with me from Uganda, it was an understanding that there was much I did not understand and that solutions were not all that simple. Also a huge mistrust of 'doing good' in the sense of going in and making it all better. But I haven't yet been able to articulate all of that, and this small entry does help.

No comments: