Thursday, July 3, 2008

Better Days

I couldn't figure out why I had the Bruce Springsteen song "Better Days" going through my head this morning until I remembered I had read the obituary for Madam Marie.

There are certainly worse things in life than being immortalized in a Bruce Springsteen song. I suppose that would depend on how one was described. But if I'm getting my obituary in the NY Times, I'd like it to be for something I'd actually done rather than something someone else had written about me, no matter how cool that person was.

And I would guess Madam Marie's life would make for some interesting reading. On the surface, she sounds like a novel waiting to be written. The woman had been telling fortunes on the Asbury Park Boardwalk since the 1930's, for Pete's sake! She had a life of her own. I wish the Times had done a little more research. Perhaps they should have consulted a colleague of hers and then asked Madam Marie for stories of her life directly.

No comments: