Sunday, July 12, 2009

Quote of the Day

Your joy will be to follow him who came, not to be served, but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.

This is from the Examination in the service for the Ordination of a Bishop. I'm drawn to it today as resolution D025 makes its way to the House of Bishops. (See this entry for a long and tedious explanation of D025)

Why does it seem like we always focus on the "unity of the church" part of the Examination and not the joy of following the servant Jesus? I was thinking today that it's bad church to lead the church based on fear of rejection or of getting people upset. God is our judge. I hope that all who vote do so on the basis and with the knowledge that the one person they should hope to please is Jesus. That's not going to mean that everyone will vote the same way, but I do believe that if we can show up before God and say, "I offered the best love that I had in everything I did" that God's love and mercy will cover the rest. That's just me.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Amen. Unity is a tricky thing. I am not sure we all know what eachother means by unity. I think of one body many parts. We have to have diversity, but all be one in Christ Jesus.
Like it. Thanks!