Thursday, March 26, 2009

Good stuff from the boring bits at the end of Exodus

Not that I read this or figured it out, but I'm glad somebody did.

The last part of Exodus is a total slog with detailed descriptions of the building of the ark of the covenant -- and its curtains, and its basins, and the composition of the incense, et cetera, et cetera. That I remembered. What I never noted was this:

In [chapter] 30, God anoints Aaron and consecrates the priests. It's a big deal, with fragrant spices, sacred oil and a sense of the holy that is almost tangible through the pages. And after it's over, do you know who God focuses on next? Do you know who comes second? The artists.

I had to read that a few times until I believed. There in the desert, as God establishes His people, as He sets into motion His very heart, the artists fall directly after the priests. Maybe that's mind-blowing only to me, but I find that stunning. Of all the professions, of all the people in the desert, it is the artists He speaks to next.
I just think that's very cool. Had to share.

No comments: