Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Back to work

Long time, no blog! First I was away and then I was sick and then it was Holy Week. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. And so many things have gone by with no comment. I was particularly sad not to wax eloquent on the headline, "8,000 pot plants found; two arrested."

But for now, I just want to add my two cents to the rightful denunciation of Don Imus' truly offensive comments about the Rutgers women's basketball team. What really got my blood boiling was his comment quoted in the NY Times this morning when he said on Al Sharpton's program, "I think what makes a difference, a crucial difference is: What was my intent?”

Ah, yes, the "in my heart, I'm a good and decent person" defense. But as Jesus said, "it is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks." (Luke 6:45b) Imus would not have said what he said had it not been somewhere in his heart. It may be expedient to deny that in public, but I hope he's taking a good, hard look at himself.

And two weeks suspension? NBC should be ashamed. I don't understand why Imus and his ilk are not pariahs in the media world. But that's just me.

No comments: