Monday, June 10, 2013

Garden update, June 2013

I meant to get to the update this weekend but, well, I just didn't. But since I have a couple of free minutes now, I have a little blooming action to share.

Let's start with Wolverine the hydrangeas.

I'd find them terrifying if they weren't so spectacular. They are seemingly impervious to pruning.

Also in the front yard, I finally got the tomatoes planted.


There's a few beans in there, but they're not sprouting like I'd want, possibly due to the shade of the boysenberry vines behind them.

Also in the front yard, the roses are still going strong.


As are the sweet peas...



...which are mixed in with some rather fluffy-headed sunflowers, not your usual giants.



And the dahlias are starting to make their dramatic appearance, both in the front yard:


And especially in the back:




This one is known as "Kapow."
That bed is coming along nicely, with zinnias about ready to pop, and this lovely thing, which is called Minoan Lace.



I wish I could say the same for the side beds, which are just a sad mess this year. I really haven't done anything with them.

Over on the other bed, the gardenias and the marmalade bush seem to be...Harper! Get out of there!


So things are slow this year. But even so, the flowers we have allow for things like this:



Which make me quite happy.

1 comment:

it's margaret said...

Beautiful. Our wildflowers are still not up yet.