Friday, August 20, 2010

Garden Update, August 20: the Tomato Edition

Actually, this may be only volume 1 of the Tomato Edition since we have tomatoes in abundance.

I might have gone a bit overboard with the cherry tomatoes.


There are three plants just like this. Luckily the dogs like them and are willing to help with the harvesting.


I just need to train them to give the tomatoes back after they pick them off the vines. Andy, the little red guy, seriously loves those tomatoes. Georgia is just giving in to peer pressure.

This monster


is no cherry tomato, but one of the heirlooms that weaved its way through the cherry tomato cages.

Speaking of escape artists: all the plants you see growing through the fence, here, are self-seeders from last year's tomatoes.


They aren't even growing in the fancy beds, but in a couple of inches of dirt between the beds and the fence. Tomatoes are much more hardy than I gave them credit for.

So now I need to figure out what to do with them all. This is what I got over the past couple of days. AFTER the photos above.


If you have a particularly good tomato sauce recipe that I can use for the Romas, please let me know! I'm overrun!

I hope your garden is flourishing and that you're enjoying the abundance of the summer. Bon appetit!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fresh tomatoes don't need much help - they taste extra good all by themselves! My recipe: cut the romas into chunks, add a little basil and a little garlic, and put them over fresh pasta with fresh parmesan. No cooking necessary at all.

Alternatively, quarter the cherry tomatoes, toss with fresh lettuce and leafy green herbs, add slices of mozzarella and, if feeling truly decadent, avocado, and toss again with olive oil and balsamic vinegar for a fabulous salad. Once again, no cooking!

But if you're set on using the stove to turn tomatoes into sauce, I like Marcella Hazan's Italian recipes for all things tomato.

Anonymous said...

When I have an excess, I like to cut the Roma's in half, and let them simmer a short while on the stove. Then after they cool, I remove the skins (they can be tough). If there is extra juice (rare with roma's), I pour it off and drink it. Then I put the tomatoes in the freezer for later in the year. Wonderful fresh tasting cooked tomatoes just plain, or ready to use in recipes. PQ