Thursday, June 26, 2008

Oh, yeah...baseball...

I went to my first baseball game of the season today under hazy skies as fires still burn throughout California. It was a lovely day nonetheless, and the seats (courtesy of a former parishioner) were right behind home plate on the upper level. "You'll be able to see a curve ball or a change-up or a slider," he told me, which assumes I would know one if I saw one, which I don't. What I did see was a lot of strike-outs: 11 all told, a personal best for Rich Harden, the starting pitcher.

In between two of the innings, the PA announcer invites the crowd to pick a sports highlight to be shown on the jumbotron. The choices were two other baseball games or the European Cup semi-final between Russia and Spain. The crowd went wild for the football option, and a mighty lovely highlight it was, too: a beautiful pass and goal for Spain, making the score 1-0.

Later on, they showed an unannounced highlight with yet another Spain goal. Spain wins 3-0 and is going on to the European Cup final.

Perhaps it will happen. Perhaps the U.S. will become soccer mad. There's just so much sport here; at what point do we get tapped out? I suspect something will have to give. I'm a little worried it will be baseball.

No comments: