Friday, May 13, 2011

World In Prayer

It was my week for the World In Prayer prayers, and here they are:

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not be in want.

Lord, we pray for all those who hunger; for those who have lost their homes due to natural disaster or financial ruin; for those who have lost their jobs or livelihood; for all those in want.

He makes me lie down in green pastures; he leads me beside still waters.


We pray for those facing flooding along the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers in the United States; for farmers whose lands are under water; for the Army Corps of Engineers as they determine how best to manage the surging rivers; and for all those who hope their levees will hold.

He revives my soul and guides me along right pathways for his names sake.

We pray for Egypt where clashes between conservative Muslims and Coptic Christians left more than 180 wounded. We pray for the underground church in China as they petition their legislature for legal protections. We pray for all those graduating from colleges or universities as they seek to follow their life’s path.

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil; for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

We pray for all those in war-torn countries or areas of conflict: for Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Yemen, Somalia, Sudan, and Israel/Palestine. We pray for San Jose State University where a murder/suicide left two students dead, a result of domestic violence; we pray for all those for whom home is not a place of safety.

You spread a table before me in the presence of those who trouble me; you have anointed my head with oil, and my cup is running over.

We pray for those whose lives are affected by rising food or fuel prices. We pray for Uganda where supporters of Uganda's opposition leader have clashed with police in the capital Kampala following the swearing-in of the President.

Surely your goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

O God our Shepherd, comfort us, lead us, guide us. And care not for us only, but for our neighbors wherever they may be. Fill us with your compassion; give us the same eyes with which you look upon the world that you have created. Help us to be your sheep, and to feed your sheep. Grant that we may be followed by your goodness and mercy and that we may share them with the world. All this we pray through the name of your Son, the Good Shepherd, the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments: