Friday, May 13, 2011

Various and Sundry, May 13

Whew! I'm glad I've made it to Friday; it has been a craaaaaazy busy week, with more to come.

Whoever created this, however, has way too much time on their hands:

And I'm glad they do. Isn't that remarkable? A friend posted this on Facebook.

I don't know if anyone is actually still reading Love Wins after that first flurry of activity and PR, but I loved this review in which the reviewer describes the book this way:

Imagine putting N.T. Wright’s Surprised by Hope, C.S. Lewis’s The Great Divorce, and part three of Robert Farrar Capon’s Between Noon and Three into a blender and running it on high until it becomes an easily digestible slurry.

Thank you! It was blowing my mind that people thought this book was somehow this remarkable new phenomenon in Christian thought! There's also a great commentary on how this is being received (or not) in Christian culture. A full-service review.

As a person who has my last name misspelled even when I spell it out for people, I LOVED this entry by Saundra Schimmelpfennig on the love/hate relationship she has with her name. I love the line, "I'm not looking for Mr. Right; I'm looking for Mr. Smith." I hope she considers hyphenating.

Finally, social media geeks will appreciate Gotta Share! A social media musical by the good folks at Improv Everywhere. Enjoy!

2 comments:

songs of a soul journey said...

I'm name challenged also; I share your pain and your amusement. I worked in an office with a beautiful woman from Sri Lanka. Her last name was so long it wouldn't fit in most last-name fields. Her first name was Savannah, and that was how everyone addressed her--at all times, coworkers and clients--because we were ALL embarrassed by the fact that we could not pronounce, much less spell, her last name...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.