Friday, November 19, 2010

Busy, busy, busy! Job search update

Forgive the dearth of blogging. I realized this morning why it's been so minimal the past couple of weeks. I calculate I'm doing 3 1/2 jobs right at the moment: there's working for Confirm not Conform, of course. I'm also, as you may recall, the sabbatical interim at All Saints, San Leandro, which requires a scoosh more time than Sundays.

Then, of course, there's the job search job which takes up more time than the other two! And then, finally, there's the new eBay stuff which is becoming a job in its own right--one with a very steep learning curve. Who knew people would be interested in my old flatware? Or that there was so much to learn about stainless steel spoons?

It's been a very busy week on the job search front. I got a particularly painful rejection letter from a parish; particularly painful because I had had a GREAT interview with them after which they said they wanted to hear me preach. Then yesterday I got a very impersonal letter (not even a signature!) saying, "we must regrettably inform you that your application was not selected for further consideration." Confused about this, I wrote to the head of the search committee, asking really? She wrote back saying, in essence, really, but maybe you'll come do supply work for us sometime.

I think I'm done looking for church jobs.

Meanwhile, I had a great informational interview at Room to Read through a friend of a friend. That networking thing takes a dogged persistence, I tell you what. Not my natural mode, but it really is amazing how connected you can be if you ask.

Finally, I've signed up with a couple of temp agencies since (ta da!) my position at Confirm not Conform will be...not exactly eliminated, but set to contract work beginning in 2011. Which is not a huge surprise (for me), but adds to the urgency of the other work I'm doing--particularly the job search part.

So that's the news. I'm sure I will find a new position, but it's going to be a lot of work in the meantime. I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

it's margaret said...

God bless you in your search. And all your work.