Friday, April 8, 2011

Various and Sundry, April 8

I'm going to have to make it quick since we're taking the new old man, Mr. Jed, to the vet for a check-up--and to see if he's deaf or just ignoring us.

I loved Don Miller's blog entry Should The Church be Led by Teachers and Scholars? The teachers and scholars didn't like it so much. I also loved his review of Love Wins. Best one I've read.

The Good Intentions are Not Enough blog requested entries for a Day Without Dignity to counter the TOMS shoes Day Without Shoes--very fascinating. One entry I particularly liked (though it's hard to choose, I liked so many of them) was this one from Project Diaspora. The author's pointed questions:

Who are these people in “developing countries”?

Is the developing world a homogenous other? Why do we keep reproducing these dichotomies and stereotypes? “People there don’t have food; people there don’t have clothes; people there suffer; they grow up barefoot; they all need shirts”

Isn’t there inequality in America?

Why do “we” need to “remind ourselves” and “get a taste” ? It’s really about “us”, isn’t it?

Ouch.

And finally, my favorite obituary for the week was this one for Selwyn Goldsmith who literally wrote the book on Designing for Disabilities, developing the curb cuts we've grown to expect. He also worked on, as it is called, potty parity. I loved this: in revising Designing for the Disabled, "He concluded that having "different" or "extreme" needs is not unusual, but in fact "normal"." Things like, you know, strollers. Or being a child. I thought that was a great insight.

Have a great weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This anonymous teacher/scholar would be curious to hear more about what you liked about Don Miller's blog entry.

LKT said...

I liked that it suggests that there are more ways to learn about God than book larnin', and more ways to lead than arguing over doctrine. I think it's summed up in his explanatory comment, "There are a million right ways to be the church." I don't think he's saying the church shouldn't be led by teachers or scholars, but that it shouldn't be led exclusively by teachers and scholars--and I mean "exclusively" in every sense of the word.

May I add, too, that I don't think the church, by and large, is led by scholars? I think most of us are scholar-ish, but think our big ol' Masters Degree means more than it probably does.

OK, I think I've done more than enough to get myself in trouble!