Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Teaser Tuesday March 23

Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:

* Grab your current read
* Open to a random page
* Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
* BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
* Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

Today's teaser is from Terry Pratchett's--oh, excuse me, Sir Terry Pratchett's latest Discworld novel, Unseen Academicals (appropriate cover for this time of year, n'est-ce pas?).

Here's the teaser:

"The University Council at the time took the very decent view that it might be the moment for a leader who was not stupid, mad or dead. Admittedly, most of these are not exactly qualifications in the normal sense, but I like to think that the skill of leadership, tactics and creative cheating that I learned on the river also stood me in good stead."


Update: When I was adding the link to information about Sir Terry's knighthood, I learned he has been diagnosed with Alzheimers. Will these tragic things stop happening to my genre writers? Truly, very sad news. I wish him all the best as he battles the disease.

***
Previous Teaser update:
I didn't have a Teaser last week because I was still plowing through Michael Caine's 400+ page autobiography, which I finally finished last week. If you want to know about absolutely anybody celebrity-wise in Hollywood or London, then this is your book. He seemed to be in the middle of absolutely everything. All I know is that I'm now in the mood to see Dirty Rotten Scoundrels again.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great teaser. It made me laugh.

Kaye said...

Ha that was a good one!i like Michael Caine and he has been around long enough to have seen it all. Thanks for visiting!

Missy B. said...

Entertaining teaser....I like it!

Anonymous said...

Oh Terry Pratchett. He is too much awesome! I love him. OOK!

and also SQUEAK!

=)

Anonymous said...

Great teaser! I really need to read some Pratchett.

Book Soulmates said...

Cool teaser! I happen to agree with it, but not in terms of basketball but in other things, lol.

Here is my teaser for today.
♥Isalys

jlshall said...

Haven't read any of Sir Terry's books yet, but this makes me think I'm really missing something! What a great teaser!!!

Mel (He Followed Me Home) said...

too funny, what a great teaser (sad news though!)

and Laura ARC = advanced review copy, you are right :) I added it in as the wording may be a bit different in the final copy & it will probably be on a different page too. Hope that helps!

Nise' said...

I am so sorry to hear about his diagnosis. Have not read this one yet.

LKT said...

Mel: thanks for the answer!

Barbara said...

nice!

thanks for stopping by On the Bookcase!

Anonymous said...

Finally, I made it :) Thanks for stopping by my teaser on Tuesday, sorry for being so late..
Great teaser, this week..

LKT said...

Thanks for coming by!