Thursday, March 11, 2010

Internet Monk

I'm not sure why I don't have Michael Spencer, the Internet Monk, in my blogroll to the left, there, since I read him regularly and refer to him frequently. You may remember the book Jesus Girls that I read in the latter part of 2009; that was a recommendation from him. I also see that I referenced him in a sermon I gave back in October. There have been other instances too that I can't recall at the moment.

I say all this because he has been ill for some time, and I learned a couple of days ago that he probably has six months to live. His wife writes:

Michael went through a period of depression, as I’m sure you would expect. He seems to have come through that now, for the most part. He knows he is dying, and he says he is at peace. Though he will still say with unashamed honesty, “I don’t want it to all be over at age 53!” he has the confidence of knowing that he has run the race God set out for him. He believes he has done the work our Lord intended for him to do, and if the last task God has for him in this life is dying, then he will do that to the best of his ability.

I apologize for not introducing you to this thoughtful and challenging writer earlier.

If you would keep him and his family in your prayers, that would be mighty lovely.

No comments: