Monday, June 15, 2009

News from Iran


I don't know how many of you have been watching the reports from Iran this weekend. I've had the good fortune of knowing about the protests following the presidential election because I follow Andrew Sullivan. Otherwise, I think I would have been in the dark.

All weekend, he's been posting firsthand reports from Iran, from Twitter feeds, asking for help from Farsi-speaking readers, posting videos and photographs, news reports...it's been absolutely enthralling. Lots of people claiming the election was fraudulent, presidential candidates under house arrest, hundreds of thousands of protesters in the street, students being beaten...it has been incredible to watch from the other side of the world.

If you haven't been following, I really do recommend that you scroll through Sullivan's blog. Or for the gist of it, start here. Truly, I hope you will take a look.

The picture is of a protest in Tehran. Green is the color of the presidential candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi, who is widely believed to have won the election despite the announcement that Mahmoud Ahmadinadinejad was re-elected by a landslide.

No comments: