Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A day on the beach

I enjoyed this little article in the Washington Post in which authors shared which literary characters they'd bring with them to the beach.

I've been thinking which literary character I would bring to the beach with me. In Fort Bragg, the beaches aren't exactly built for lying upon and sunning oneself. I realized very quickly I'm not much of a beach person, even if the beaches are sunny and warm and full of soft sand, which these are not. The beaches here are hearty, not leisurely, so I'm not going to be bringing Mr. Darcy, which was one suggestion (and not a very creative one, I'd have to say), or Jeeves, who was the character that first came to mind.

I'm kind of thinking Adam Dalgliesh who I doubt cares for indulgent beaches and can deal with fog. I've always kind of wondered about the Jaguar, however.

I like Christopher Buckley's suggestion of Abel Magwitch who also could deal with the kind of beaches that are in Fort Bragg and doesn't own a Jaguar. I'm just not sure how much of his company I could take or whether he would go home at the end of the day. I fear he would latch himself on to me and want to sleep on the couch.

I'm trying to think of some American characters that would fit the bill. It will come to me. Suggestions welcome.

(Image pulled from Flickr.)

No comments: