Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A hymn for loud things

Lionel Deimel has written some alternate verses to the hymn Earth and All Stars which he calls a "frankly stupid hymn."  I hadn't thought about it before, having loved the tune enough to (mostly) ignore the text but it's true.  There's a lot that's laughable about the hymn.  In it, everything is loud:  loud boiling test tubes, loud humming cellos...I mean, please.  I think Lionel's verses are better than the original.  What do you think?  And what would you add?

iPods and Droids, loud clicking keypads,
Sing to the Lord a new song!
Blackberry phones, loud sounding ringtones,
Sing to the Lord a new song!

He has done marvelous things.
I, too, will praise him with a new song.

Chevys and Fords, loud honking car horns,
Sing to the Lord a new song!
Corvette and Jeep, loud roaring mufflers,
Sing to the Lord a new song!

He has done marvelous things.
I, too, will praise him with a new song.

No comments: