Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

Among the many people proposed for commemoration last summer at General Convention were John Muir and the very interesting Hudson Stuck. And what do you know: here they are on Earth Day!

Here's a short quote pulled from a longer quote that I used a year ago, but I like it enough to want to use it again. If I had the time, I'd spend the day reading John Muir; he's terrific.

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe. One fancies a heart like our own must be beating in every crystal and cell, and we feel like stopping to speak to the plants and animals as friendly fellow-mountaineers.

From My First Summer in the Sierra.

Happy Earth Day! Stay linked.

1 comment:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Not much mention of Earth Day here in the UK which is a shame, thanks for sharing this with us.