Thursday, October 16, 2008

My private fear...

...is that I'll never read another book again. What with all the blogs I skim on a daily basis, all the political coverage to which I am riveted, I haven't read a book in I don't know how long. Plus there's the baseball postseason to follow.

But I'm working on the whole "book" thing. I'm easing back in with light fiction, such as "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove" by Christopher Moore, which is by the bed and of which I have actually read, oh, 40 pages. (I'm not reading it in French, but I loved the thought of reading it in French, hence the image.)

In days of yore, a book such as this would have been finished by now and long since. But no. A couple of pages a day. Perhaps because I'm only used to reading in short bits and spurts. It's rather pathetic.

Someday I shall read again. It may require an intervention or a power outage, but I do believe that one day I shall read again. Though probably not in French.

1 comment:

qoe said...

I will intervene on your behalf. Just set up a huge pile of books by your bed. [I cannot tell you what a help it is to have a bookcase by my bedside, except that it is overflowing onto my nightstand, and now I have had to resort to a pile on the floor, in front of the bookcase that is 30 volumes deep].

In the evenings when you are home, forget about TV, forget about the computer. Curl up in bed with a BOOK!

Even with a family, kids, writing and an otherwise busy life, I manage to read HUNDREDS of books a year.

Another tip: ALWAYS carry a book in your purse. I had to look around before I found THE perfect BOOK sized purse [tricky, as you want it to be big enough to carry the average sized book, but not too much bigger, or then it is too bulky... or, at least, it is for me. I can't stand carrying purses at all, but have found one I can live with.]. You never know when you are going to be standing in a queue, of some sort. That situation is perfect for BART commuting, also.

All hand held devices, with their vibrant and flowing leaves, AWAIT YOUR EYES. [a notion courtesy of J. Luis Borges...]

Does that help? ;-)