Friday, October 31, 2008

I totally missed National Candy Corn Day

I'm so bummed! Turns out October 30th is National Candy Corn Day and I missed it! I guess that I'll just have to celebrate Halloween instead.

But here's an important question: which end of the candy corn do you think of as the top? A friend and I spent waaay too long saying, "The top of the candy corn is white." "No, the top of the candy corn is yellow," when in fact what we first needed to decide is whether the little end or the big end is the so-called "top." Wikipedia gets around this issue (or refuses to take a side) by referring to the yellow part as the "base" and the white part as the "tip." Pretty cowardly if you ask me.

Incidentally, if you are wondering who made October 30th National Candy Corn Day, that would be the all-powerful National Confectioners Association, which also says that October is National Caramel month and that today is National Caramel Apple Day. Who knew that Caramel Apples had such a strong lobby? I guess I'm not ready for that one, so I'll just have to be prepared for November 7: National Bittersweet Chocolate with Almonds Day. Really, you should take a look at this calendar and get this marked down.

I am very pleased to see that chocolate mints get their own day: February 19th. I'm all over it.

Happy Halloween everyone!

No comments: