Saturday, August 18, 2012

#shrugging: An Ayn Rand Twitter Book Group

Well, it's not much a "group," actually; it's just me posting tweets about Atlas Shrugged as I chortle my way through it. Honestly, how anyone can take this book seriously is beyond me. I keep chuckling and laughing in a most derisive manner, and I'm only through Chapter 2. It's not the philosophy that's making me laugh; it's just the writing. The writing! Oh my. Here's a sentence just to give you an idea:

"The window frame trembled with the speed of the motion, the pane hung over empty darkness, and dots of light slashed across the glass as luminous streaks, once in a while."

Once in a while?

I have to say, risible or no, I'm enjoying it a lot. It's just chock-full of passive-voiced pot-boilery goodness. I'm looking forward to finding out what happens.

I honestly had no preconceived notions about it going in, which is very refreshing. I'm reading it because of how much it's in the news after Paul Ryan was tapped for VP, but I didn't have a clue what it was about.

You're welcome to join me, if you wish. If you're on Twitter, use the hashtag #shrugging to add pithy comments or simply to say hello.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does it help to know that English wasn't her first language? {pause} On second thought, no. It doesn't help, because this is why God created editors.

Anonymous said...

This book was a big deal when I was in my 20's. All I seem to remember is that it was a very large book. What is the connection to Rep. Ryan? I seem be be uninformed as usual. Mom

LKT said...

Rep. Ryan says it was reading Ayn Rand that inspired him to take up a life of public service; he gave copies of Atlas Shrugged to his staffers as a Christmas present.

Further details:
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/16/what-paul-ryan-learned-from-ayn-rand.html

songs of a soul journey said...

Ryan could only be identified with the premises of Atlas Shrugged if he proclaimed that he wanted to have our monetary system revert to the gold standard. But other than that, it is all smoke being blown about how everyone should be "self-made" and "self-reliant".

And the English is nearly as horrible as the Ruth and Thomas Martin translations of German libretti, but that is another story...

Lorin said...

I've never read this one but, as an architect, I have of course read Fountainhead. It's wonderful in its awfulness.

Anonymous said...

I've read most of Ayn Rand's novels - Foutainhead, Atlas Shrugged, and also the less-well-known Anthem. Atlas Shrugged is the one I read and re-read. It's not that I appreciate the politics, but I love the wacky plot, the defiant main figures, and the whole idea of putting elements of so many different literary traditions together in one place.

I'm not going to say anything else, as I don't want to spoil the story for you - but if you post again when you're done, I'll fill you in on some of my favorite parts.