Monday, December 13, 2010

Monday Morning Preacher

So there I was at a memorial service on Saturday. And there was the son of the deceased, giving his eulogy. Holding himself together nobly as he talked about his father, an incredibly active man who suffered for many years from Alzheimers, the son began to wrap up his Eulogy with Henry Van Dyke's poem on dying.

"I am standing upon the seashore..." the son reads. And a cell phone goes off.

The son, bless his heart, yells, "I'll get it! Is it for me?" as the woman in the second row scrabbled to silence the ringer. Crisis averted, he started the poem again and finished his eulogy.

Very adroitly handled, I thought. I told him afterwards that I planned to use that line if a cell phone goes off while I'm preaching. When, I probably should say.

Do you have any good techniques for handling electronic interruptions?

No comments: