Friday, October 1, 2010

Really good stuff that other people wrote

Here are links to a few things that I thought I would comment on, but now I feel I shouldn't bother because the originals were far better than anything I could add.

A while back, someone who's probably regretting it now wrote a long screed about how his salary of $250,000+ really isn't that much because living well is really expensive (I am paraphrasing). James Fallows has taken that dog to town with a whole series of blog posts on the self-pitying poor, all of which are worth a read. I particularly liked this entry, probably because it has data and a chart.

I recently added a blog called City of Brass, written by a Muslim on Belief.net, to my reading list because I realized I need to know more about Islam. I need to add it to my blogroll on the left there. Also containing data and a chart, this blog maps mosque controversies nationwide, among other things.

Apparently, the Roman Catholic church is about to canonize a woman who was excommunicated for blowing the whistle on a predator priest in the early part of the 20th century. I thought the story was interesting and thought I'd pass it along.

And I would be remiss if I did not announce MadPriest's two new ventures in online community and worship: St. Laika's and its companion website The Anchorhold, a blog about spiritual practice. Your question of the day on St. Laika's is "When did you feel closest to God?" Feel free to visit and share.

Finally, Jenny at Ask the Bloggess has been offering some kind words, including this entry, This too shall pass which begins

No questions today. Just answers:

No. You aren't alone.

Yes. We all feel this way sometimes.

No. You won't always feel like this.

Yes. The world is a better place with you in it.

***
Good to remember today and always.

No comments: