Saturday, May 4, 2013

Garden Report: May Update

The plants are doing their jobs, but I've been really slow off the mark this year. My tomato seedlings are a disaster! But some things are blooming up a storm, with little help from me, so here you go.

Let's start with what I think is my great triumph: I didn't kill the Mock Orange! (Philadelphus, if you're interested.) Here it is back in February:


Very sad. 
But here it is today:


Happy, happy Mock Orange!

Also in this bed, the Geum (with the red blossoms) did well over the winter, and I did plant a number of dahlia bulbs that are gearing up for summer:


The Passion Vine I tended over the winter did not, alas, survive. But we planted a new one a couple of weeks ago, and it seems happy as a clam.


I did also plant a marmalade bush (Streptosolen jamesonii) in one of the as-yet empty backyard beds, and put lots of metal around it in hopes that it won't get dug up, Harper. So far, so good.


It's supposed to get to 6 ft. X 6 ft. with lots of orange and yellow blossoms. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Finally in the backyard, I'm loving the Nigella, aka Love-in-a-Mist, which has taken over the beds under the bedroom window, but they really need something more substantial in there. I need to work on that.


Moving to the front yard, the sweet peas are off to a slow start, but they're blooming.


The rock rose is magnificent.


I love how those flowers peek through the fence.

For some reason (and I can take no credit), there are a bunch of wonderful pink and red snapdragons that decided to re-seed in the front yard. I think they look fantastic. I'm sorry that what you see here is mostly my shadow. You can kind of see Harper sniffing them. Don't step on the snapdragons, Harper!


Our best looking/most completed bed is probably this one, with the flowering tobacco in the back. The light makes it look a little scraggly. It looks better in person.


And last but not least...


The hydrangea that I shall now call Wolverine for its regenerating powers. It's incredible.

I hope things are blooming where you are. Happy May.

No comments: