Friday, February 11, 2011

Egypt

I was taken by surprise this morning both by the news that Mubarak had stepped down, and also that I found myself in tears when I heard. I'm watching the livestreaming video from Al Jazeera English, which you can find here. Below is a screencap.

 

Do I understand what's going on there? Do I have even the slightest inkling what ought to happen? That's a big old no. But I'm still moved by these scenes of jubilation after such valiant and overwhelmingly peaceful protest. A transfer of power without war--imagine. Well, I don't need to, do I? Let us pray for Egypt in the hard work and changes that will follow.

By the way, if I haven't mentioned it before, here's a link to demand Al Jazeera English on cable providers in the U.S. AJE has the best coverage of Africa I've seen (in my opinion, anyway) and generally has a very interesting slant on world news, one that's worth hearing.

No comments: