Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Vocabulary revision

Wouldn't it be lovely if people quit using the word "heresy" when what they really mean is "I think you're wrong"? I'd been thinking this for a while, but it finally hit home for me a couple of days ago with the feast of William Tyndale, burned at the stake in 1536 for the heresy of translating the Bible into English. Well, strangled and then burned at the stake, which makes it so much better.

Reading that story has made me believe that heresy is pretty much a useless word. Looking back on history allows me to think certain parties were correct and others oppressive. I suppose you could call oppression a heresy, but I think it's more human.

To get all geeky Greeky on you, "heresy" is simply the word that means "able to choose." And isn't the ability to choose what makes us humans with free will? Aren't we supposed to be heretics?

No more talking about heresy. It's pointless and a waste of time and breath.

No comments: