Wednesday, July 8, 2009

News from Booth 725

which is my home away from home. It's finally all set up and looks good! (I'll get a picture up later.)

I'm heading out in a couple of minutes (after I finish this entry) to go to an Angels-Rangers game. I got the tickets from Dan Webster, formerly of Christ Church Alameda, who couldn't go.

Perhaps because he is listening to the Archbishop of Canterbury addressing the convention. I actually saw the ABC today as he passed through the exhibit hall, surrounded by a clot of men in black shirts. I would have either taken a picture or given him a flyer about Confirm not Conform except I was talking to another customer.

We had a busy day in the booth. Kellor, who is working the booth with me, has taught me a lot about sales. Do not wait for them to come to you is the main message. She stands on the edge of the carpet of our booth with flyers in hand saying, "Here's a flyer about this great youth confirmation program!" I say that too, now, though from time to time I say, "May I thrust a flyer about our program into your hands?" Episcopalians appreciate the politeness of this request and rarely say no.

I have no idea what's going on outside of the exhibit hall. At 5:00, as we were leaving for the day, we left the building and I said to Kellor, "Air! Sunlight!"

I did catch a glimpse of the protesters outside the front of the convention center, holding signs saying (among other things) "Why do you hate God?" It's not a big group, only 4 or 5 men with large signs. I'm not sure if they were from a group or if there were more at the other exits. There weren't any when we slipped out the back.

The best thing about General Convention so far is seeing all sorts of people I haven't seen in a long time. People from Rochester, Ohio, seminary, CREDO...I'm getting lots of hugs. Now with some kettle corn and sunlight, I'm sure I'll make a complete recovery and be ready for tomorrow. More when I can.

No comments: