Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Thomas Aquinas

Man, all this inaugural stuff has put me off my stride. But today is Wednesday, which makes me think of midweek Eucharists, which makes me think of saints, and today happens to be the feast day of Thomas Aquinas, a big day indeed.

I can speak only ignorantly of Aquinas and don't have time to do the research I would like. But my impression is of a person who does the exact opposite of what I am doing today: who thought through things deeply and methodically and presented them clearly and publicly. I admire the heck out of that kind of methodical thinking. It seems to me to be a spiritual discipline of its own.

Here's the collect of the day.

Almighty God, you have enriched your Church with the singular learning and holiness of your servant Thomas Aquinas: Enlighten us more and more, we pray, by the disciplined thinking and teaching of Christian scholars, and deepen our devotion by the example of saintly lives; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

No comments: