Thursday, July 3, 2008

Related to Uganda

Having spent even a short time there, I now find that news from Uganda seems to leap out at me all over the place. I was very excited this morning to see Nicholas Kristof's column in the New York Times about the graduation of Beatrice Biira, of "Beatrice's Goat" fame, a book about how the Heifer Project changed a person's life. I still remember from the book a description of her red dress, the single article of clothing she has. I saw a lot of that in Uganda with children wearing amazingly inappropriate and formal clothing every day. How exciting to see one small gift making a huge difference to one person who might, in her turn, make an even greater difference to many people.

For some time now, I've been...well, obsessed would be a fairly accurate word. I've been obsessed with trying to figure out the relations between Africa and the U.S. in the Anglican Communion. I've been encouraged to keep writing about that, and so if that happens to be an interest of yours as well, I'm going to give that some thought and attention over at my other blog that I started to describe my experiences in Uganda. In the meantime, over here I'm going to continue with little bits of things as they leap out at me, and as they interest me.

1 comment:

qoe said...

I offer my second encouragement. There is so much more happening now. Africa is the next big political hot potato because of resources. The U.S. has many staging grounds there (military bases) that are not generally known about. China has been heavily negotiating with certain countries. Meanwhile, inequity, unrest and war continue unabated. What role can/does the church play in all of this? There was an article a few days ago, suggesting that the African communion might not want to continue with Canterbury as the head.