Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Harvard Beats Yale 29-29

So said the headline after the Ivy League match-up in November 1968. A Harvard grad who'd been there at the time made a documentary about it for the 40th anniversary and I had wanted to see it ever since. I finally got a chance a couple of days ago, and I'm very glad I did.

It's a very simple film: clips of the game are interspersed with clips of interviews with the men who'd played the game, now in their late 50's or early 60's, sitting in their kitchens or offices, pulling back the memories of that particular day. And they say things like, "I brought my girlfriend to campus...actually, I was dating Meryl Streep at the time."

But less interesting than the name-dropping to me was watching how this one rather insignificant event--a college football game--continued to color and inform these men's lives, and how vivid the memories still were for them.

And even though--even though it says right there in the title what happens, you still won't believe it's happening. It's still amazing to watch.

Do your best to get your hands on this. It's worth it.

Here's the website, and the trailer is below:

No comments: