Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Persimmon bread update

I finally made the persimmon bread and I have to say it was a disappointment. Not bad. No, nothing wrong with it. There just wasn't anything distinctive about it. It didn't taste like persimmon bread. It tastes like...bread. Your generic quick bread with cinnamon and nutmeg. And there's nothing wrong with that. I was just hoping for something that said, "I am an exotic and delicious bread made with a fruit you don't find just anywhere."

If I do make it again, I think I would put in dried cranberries. But make no mistake, if I make it again, it is entirely because I need to do something with the tons of persimmons on the tree in the backyard. I mean, look at that thing. What do you do with all those persimmons?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made my first persimmon bread this year too, but mine turned out to be distinctively delicious. Over my husband's objections, I put in the healthy amount of cognac (1/3 cup per loaf) the recipe called for (a James Beard recipe from Beard on Bread). Since my husband hadn't had a drop from the cognac bottle in 15 years, I felt safe using it for the bread. He certainly ate the bread faster than he ever drank cognac. So Laura, try again with spirits! Donna Ross

LKT said...

OK, I'm DEFINITELY trying that!