Saturday, July 7, 2007

Venus de Wimbledon



She looked magnificent today, striding about the court, beating what I couldn't help but think was "poor, little" Marion Bartoli in a two-set blitz, despite the fact that poor little Marion Bartoli had beat Justine Henin and was, in fact, seeded higher than Venus.

But I was pleased for Venus anyway and rooted for her to win despite the fact that I hardly consider her the underdog.

And then came the interview after the match.

WOULD SOMEONE PLEASE TELL VENUS NOT TO THANK HER FRIENDS AND FAMILY DURING THE INTERVIEW ON COURT?

I mean, there's nothing wrong with thanking friends and family, and why not do it publicly in that venue? But it just sounds unprofessional. Not only does it sound unprofessional, it makes Venus seem small in comparison with "poor little" Marion Bartoli. Girlish, I guess is the word I'm looking for. Bartoli looked poised and sounded like not only a professional but an adult. Venus in comparison looked like a little girl.

I suppose if you've won four Wimbledons you get to say whatever you want. Who am I to gripe? But I want her to look good, and it just doesn't make her look good to me when she uses the post-match interview to say Hi, just as if she were a casual baseball fan who found herself on the jumbotron at the ballpark. I want her to act like the grown-up professional that she is.

No comments: