Friday, June 8, 2007

No-nos

I've got a cup of tea and the day off so it's time to opine.

Confess, actually, because there is a part of me that wishes Shannon Stewart had not gotten a hit yesterday off of Curt Shilling who was so close! to getting a no-hitter, he could taste it. Two outs in the 9th, and Shannon Stewart slaps a single to right field and the A's lose anyway, 1-0. I don't think I'm the only A's fan who would have liked to see Schilling get a no-hitter.

I have no idea what the man is like in person, but I have fond memories of Schilling in the ALCS and World Series of 2004, bloody sock and all. But especially when he was being interviewed in the team locker room after a game, wearing a shirt that said, "Why not us?" There was just something so endearing about the Red Sox that year, and I've had a soft spot for Schilling ever since.

So how does Stewart feel about breaking up a no-hitter like that? He had to hit, of course, but still, I imagine there's something satisfying about being part of a terrific no-hitter, even if you're on the losing end.

No comments: