World News This Week in Prayer -
Thursday, February 28, 2013
O God, you are our God. Eagerly we seek you.
We look for signs of your presence in the midst of the troubles of this world. We look for answers and assurances. We realize that in our eagerness we may miss the very thing we seek. We sit in the wilderness of Lent and are tempted to leave for the promise of answers.
Help us and be with us and forgive us.
Forgive us when we do not notice your awesome presence as we continue our daily tasks.
Forgive us when we assign reasons and blame where none belongs.
Forgive us when in our impatience for answers we no longer remember the questions.
Enlighten our hearts, our minds, our spirits to see you in the midst of life and in one another.
O God, you are our God. Eagerly we seek you throughout your world.
We seek you in your church.
- We pray for the Roman Catholic Church as Pope Benedict XVI steps down and the church enters an uncertain future.
- We pray for those observing the World Day of Prayer on March 1, that all may experience your gracious presence.
- We pray especially for places experiencing armed conflict: Mali, Syria, Darfur, Afghanistan, and others.
- We pray for mineworkers in Colombia striking for better conditions and pay, and for workers at the Kusaselethu Mine in South Africa who are unhappy with union settlements.
- We pray for homes where abuse and conflict divide and damage children and all family members.
- We pray for Italy as it experiences deadlock in creating a new coalition of leadership.
- We pray for the United States as potential budget cuts may affect many lives in ways that are as yet unclear.
- We pray for Brazil as they experience an increase in reports of Dengue Fever.
- We pray for those suffering from malaria, and for those working for its eradication.
- We pray for all those suffering from pain or illness.
- We pray for Australia where Cyclone Rusty has made landfall in the North West.
- We pray for wisdom and humility as we examine our conflicting desire for sources of energy coupled with the desire to care for your creation.